This village and civil parish are located in the northeast corner of Worcestershire, in the Bromsgrove District. Wythall parish borders Solihull and Birmingham and had a population of 11,377 in the UK census of 2001.
Originally known as King’s Norton, the civil parish was formed when some of the former parishes fell into the then County Borough of Birmingham in 1911.
It housed the Royal Air Force’s barrage balloon facility from 1939 to 1959, and a Navy station from 1952 to 1957. In addition, a Joint Services School of Applied Linguistics trained men from the RN and RAF in Russian military terminology and the use of radios for Signals Intelligence purposes. A small number of RAF men were also trained in Chinese, Czech, German and Polish. Chapel Lane now houses the Transport Museum, which is home to old buses and battery-electric vehicles.
Things to do in Wythall
The Transport Museum
At Chapel Lane, Wythall, Worcestershire, England, the Transport Museum, Wythall is a transport museum just outside Birmingham. The museum was originally run by the charity Birmingham and Midland Motor Omnibus Trust (BaMMOT).
Founded in 1977, BaMMOT acquired its current site in February 1978. Three halls of the museum present a significant collection of preserved buses and coaches, including Midland Red and Birmingham City Transport vehicles, a collection of battery-powered vehicles, such as milk floats, and a petrol-electric Tilling-Stevens bus.
Lickey Hill Country Park
The Lickey Hills Country Park is a park in England. It is located 10 miles (16 kilometres) southwest of Birmingham and 24 miles (39 kilometres) northeast of Worcester. Near Barnt Green and Rednal, the park has 524 acres (212 ha). It is located half a mile west of Cofton Hackett. Birmingham City Council manages it as one of its oldest parks.
History of Wythall
An arrowhead found on Rednal Hill, dated to the Neolithic, is the first evidence of people settling in the Lickey Hills. The arrowhead is leaf-shaped and made of flint and is certainly over 4,000 years old.
An observant Mr W H Laurie found an ancient flint javelin point lying on the surface of Lickey’s road in 1925 when the road-widening was being carried out. An Earl of Plymouth monument area was found to have flint scraping tools. Birmingham Museum is displaying the artefacts.
Bentley Heath | Wythall | Hockley Heath | Packwood | Balsall Common | Redditch | Solihull | Kennilworth |Warwick | Cheswick Green